Portable toilets have become an indispensable convenience for many outdoor events, construction sites, and other temporary setups.
However, despite their utility, maintaining a fresh scent in these units often poses a significant challenge. Over time, factors such as biological waste, inadequate ventilation, and infrequent cleaning can contribute to unpleasant odours that deter users. Recognising these common issues is the first step towards addressing them.
With nearly two decades of expertise in portable toilets and bulk waste removal in Western Australia, we’re going to share some of our tips on how to identify the root causes of these odours and how to effectively counteract them.
Understanding the Cause of Odour
Odour issues in portable toilets can be particularly unpleasant, but pinpointing the root causes is essential for effective resolution. One primary culprit is the natural decomposition of biological waste, which releases gases responsible for the unpleasant smell. This process can be amplified by a lack of proper ventilation, trapping these odours within the confined space.
Additionally, infrequent cleaning and maintenance can allow waste residues to accumulate, intensifying the stench over time. Also, it should be noted that not all cleaning and deodorising products are created equal. Opting for inferior or mismatched products can sometimes do more harm than good, failing to neutralise odours or even contributing to them. By understanding these key factors, one can make informed decisions on the best method to tackle and prevent these odour challenges.
The Essential Role of Regular Cleaning and Maintenance
A fresh-smelling portable toilet hinges significantly on regular cleaning and diligent maintenance. Adhering to consistent cleaning schedules ensures waste doesn’t linger and accumulate, which can rapidly intensify odour issues. Infrequent or irregular cleaning not only allows unpleasant scents to permeate but can also foster bacterial growth, posing additional health concerns. While individual efforts can make a difference, there’s an undeniable edge in seeking professional expertise.
Professional cleaning services are equipped with the right tools, chemicals, and know-how to ensure a deep and efficient cleanse, addressing every issue. With Instant Toilets & Showers, we offer hassle-free and thorough portable toilet cleaning services for all of our portable toilet hires to ensure that your toilets remain fresh and clean.
However, for those who want to clean their own toilets, keep reading to see which products work best.
Quick Tips & Tricks to Minimise Odours in Portable Toilets
Give Your Portable Toilet Proper Ventilation
The essence of a fresh portable toilet often lies in its ability to breathe. Proper ventilation plays a pivotal role, allowing bad smells to dissipate and facilitating the influx of fresh air. Without this, odours become trapped, quickly overpowering the confined space.
To maximise natural airflow, strategic placement is key. Position your portable toilet in areas with open surroundings, away from obstructions like walls or dense vegetation. This ensures that prevailing winds can sweep through the vents effectively. Remember, a well-ventilated portable toilet doesn’t just smell better; it offers a more comfortable and pleasant experience for users.
Remember to Close the Toilet Seat
It’s essential to ensure the toilet seat is down in a porta potty after using. A closed toilet seat directs the holding tank’s fumes towards the ventilation tube, ensuring they’re properly expelled. Conversely, an uplifted seat can trap these odours inside the portable toilet, culminating in an unpleasant odour for the next user.
Monitor the Waste Tank’s Capacity
An overfilled tank can exacerbate odour issues and lead to potential spills. We strongly recommend routinely emptying the tank regularly to ensure the odours don’t linger and multiply.
Choosing the Right Deodorising Products
In the realm of portable sanitation solutions, WALEX Chemicals stands out from the rest. As a dependable, eco-friendly, and long-lasting sanitation solution, we’ve stood by their products for years, witnessing first hand their commitment to quality and innovation.
In terms of portable toilet chemicals that’ll effectively deodorise and clean your toilet, here are our personal picks.
- Function: Enzyme-based drop-in packet that manages odours and decomposes waste and paper.
- Eco-friendly: Eliminates the need for special RV toilet paper and complies with emerging environmental legislation.
- Mechanism: Enzyme holding tank treatments accelerate the breakdown of organic materials in waste, neutralising foul odours and assisting in the digestion of paper and waste.
- Benefits: Rapidly breaks down tissue in just 24 hours, keeping sensors clear, lubricating valves, preventing odours, and ensuring septic system safety.
- Function: Powered by essential oils that react with odour molecules to form odourless compounds, rather than merely masking smells.
- Versatility: Although this product is for portable toilets, it can also be used for bathrooms, cars, boats, RVs, or homes.
- Duration: Offers odour elimination for up to 30 days.
- Function: As the industry’s top-selling drop-in holding tank deodoriser, the Porta-Pak offers week-long odour control suitable for all climates and conditions. It’s formulated for the rapid breakdown of paper and waste.
- Eco-Friendly: The product is biodegradable and features a non-staining EVERBLUE colour.
- Ease of Use: Simply drop a single Porta-Pak into the holding tank and add water. It offers a convenient and mess-free solution.
- Function: Designed to rapidly control odours in portable toilets and waste tanks.
- Mechanism: Utilises specially formulated chemicals powered by WALEX WAVE 2 Technology™ that quickly dissolves in fresh water inside the portable toilet waste tank.
- Ease of Use: As simple as dropping one tablet into the portable toilet waste tank through the toilet bowl and then flushing or adding water. It’s portion-controlled, ensuring no mess and no fuss.
Your Path to Odour-Free Portable Toilets
To maintain a fresh and inviting portable toilet, understanding the nuances of odour control becomes paramount. While regular cleaning, proper ventilation, and strategic placement play crucial roles, the right products can elevate the overall hygiene and aroma of your portable facility.
If you’re keen on ensuring an optimal sanitation experience, we invite you to explore the range of WALEX products for sale. For a comprehensive sanitation solution, don’t hesitate to discover what Instant Toilets & Showers has to offer.
Managing Director at Instant Sea Containers
Scott Rawson is the Managing Director of Instant Products Group, a specialist group of companies that offer portable building solutions, including sea containers, transportable offices, and portable sanitation products. With more than 20 years of experience in various management positions and a finalist in the WA Business News 40 under 40 awards in 2013, Scott is a highly motivated entrepreneur that has a passion for designing products to suit the needs of individual markets. From the creation of Instant Products Group over 20 years ago, he has successfully grown the group into a multi-million dollar corporation and his success is widely recognised in Western Australia. Scott is dedicated to expanding Instant Products Group nationally and providing high-quality products to a range of sectors, including mining, engineering, property development, and government.